I have a friend who does this every year and I love it. I asked her if I could steal her questions. I think what I love most is her honesty, her ability to be real about what the past year has really been like, all the ups and downs.
So now here we go, my 2018 year in review.
1. What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?
- Had my ovaries removed
- Went through surgical menopause
- Had breast reconstruction completed
- Went to Great Wold Lodge
- Drove to Alberta
- Connected with other young adults with cancer
- Danced my first burlesque show!
- Went to Tigh-Na-Mara and did a full spa day
- Float plane ride
- Embraced my new body and showed it off
- Sang Karaoke
- Started my blog
- Went to the unicorn bar in seattle
- Rode in an Uber
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I’m not big on New Year’s resolutions. I set different goals for myself throughout the year and I’ll be honest I did try but didn’t do as well with them as I would have liked. I am continuing on with some of my goals and setting new intentions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
None of my friends or family close to me had babies this year however I did start attending births again in September and got to be a part of the birth stories of 3 beautiful babies. Very excited for a special birth that’s coming up and growing my business more. Have some spring babies to look forward to.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My friend Sandra passed away this summer and her death has left a permanent mark. I keep thinking I see her randomly and have to tell myself it’s not her.
5. What countries did you visit?
Only the USA – Washington state and Texas
6. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
Health and Energy
7. What dates from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 30 – Finished Chemo for the second time in my life
April 19- ovaries removed and the adventures of early menopause
November 10- burlesque show
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting on stage for my burlesque debut. A few months prior I couldn’t even go to a show and watch women who loved their bodies let alone be one of them.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Being on my phone too much.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
2018 was about finishing what I started with my cancer treatments. Every day/month has brought me closer to feeling better.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Anything that created an experience/memory
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My Kids. As hard as it can be to be a mom, and as much as they challenge me they also are some of the best people I know. We have been stopped more than once this year to have people comment on how great the kids are. They have big hearts and watching how much they love and help those around them makes my heart happy.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I’ll keep that to myself.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Day to day expenses, family vacations, self care
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting rid of my tissue expanders, GWL, Texas Ren Fest, Seattle/Blue Jays trip.
16. What song will always remind you of 2018?
I Put a spell on you- def not a new song, but one that will remind me of this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier ii. thinner or fatter? thinner iii. richer or poorer? the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my kids my love , my brother and sister and her boyfriend. Opened presents, played and napped.
21. Did you fall in love in 2018?
Over and Over again
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favourite TV program?
Survivor, Scandal, RuPauls Drag Race, Outlander
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
I don’t think I actually read a whole book this year and that makes me really sad because it’s def a first. My brain fog has been bad and I will pick up books read a bit and can’t focus. Something I hope to change this year.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Can’t think of anyone
27. What did you want and get?
Time away with my love and time away with my kids
28. What did you want and not get?
a better co-parenting relationship
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Small town living and being a busy mom means I didn’t go to the movies this year. I did really like Dumplin on Netflix. Man I need to get out more.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was at a birth! I had been there since the day before and made a joke that I was going to have a birthday buddy. Pulled an all nighter and baby boy came earthside in the afternoon. I came home just in time for dinner and mug cake with my family, took a bath and fell into my bed. Was def a birthday to remember!
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Stressing less. Recognizing that there are just something not worth my time and energy.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
Comfortable Leggings and converse.
33. What kept you sane?
My children (although they helped make me insane so…..) my love, snuggles on the couch, the women who have ket me soul my heart out to them, my small getaways.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None that I can think of
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Too many to count.
36. Who did you miss?
My New York Family, my mom.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
All my YACC (Young Adult Cancer Canada) people.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018.
So many lessons. Be more mindful. Embrace the moments. Be more gentle with everyone, myself included.